Why Are Squirrels In Houston A Problem For Residents?
January 15, 2022 - Squirrels
Hundreds of home and business owners in the Houston area have asked the same question: why are squirrels considered pests? Although you may never have experienced them yourself, squirrels often enter attic spaces during the winter and cause yard damage by harming trees and scaring away songbirdSquirrels are extremely easy to identify around the home, thanks to their fluffy tails and long, pale whiskers. Their color patterns of brown, white, and grey are easily spotted in Texas. Some researchers suggest that these pests could outnumber humans by two to one.
Squirrels are familiar sights in Houston but uncommon invaders. Still not so sure why squirrels are considered pests? You might be surprised just how destructive these creatures can become.
The Types Of Problems Caused By Squirrels
Because squirrel infestations are relatively uncommon, home and business owners usually overlook the problems they cause. However, many Houston locals surrounded by trees or a moderate backyard may have experienced at least one of the squirrel's most common forms of destruction.
Check out a couple of their most notorious actions below:
- Squirrels can damage trees by stripping away bark, making it easy for insects to enter the wood. This is especially common in young or thin-barked trees that are less resilient.
- Squirrels may also cause structural problems with wire fencing because they use them as a highway system to travel from place to place quickly.
- Finally, squirrels may cause problems inside the home by chewing through protective coverings, wires, and even appliances.
If you believe that there is a squirrel infestation anywhere near your home, it would be wise to contact a squirrel control specialist such as Caraway Pest Control.
How To Deter Squirrels From Your Houston Property
Getting rid of the squirrel populations of Houston is simply not an option. Your best bet in proper squirrel control is the removal of attractant factors in and around your home.
Here are a couple of helpful tips for deterring squirrel infestations from approaching your home or lawn:
- Secure any open areas such as vents and holes with heavy wire mesh.
- Keep your Houston lawn trimmed to prevent any plants from giving the squirrels a place to hide.
- Remove all food sources where possible, including seed beneath bird feeders, pet food left outside for pets, and fallen fruits or nuts around your property line.
- Don't forget about compost piles! You may not have considered this food source before, but it can be very attractive to hungry squirrels looking for an easy meal. Turn them frequently to promote proper breakdown.
Still, have questions? We've got answers. Submit an online contact form to Caraway Pest Control for more helpful squirrel prevention tips.
Contact The Professionals At Caraway Pest Control For Squirrel Control Services
Proper squirrel control begins with solid prevention steps, but total elimination of these pests in your yard requires professional management. Contact the wildlife specialists at Caraway Pest Control immediately for more advice or assistance related to controlling squirrels in Houston. From serious nesting problems to the occasional household visit, we have years of experience removing pesky squirrels without compromising safety.
Call our Houston office to get connected with a wildlife professional in your district. We'd be happy to help however we can!
Love these guys! Used two years ago for possums that got into our attic. Now they do my quarterly pest control. They throw in extra “cocktails” if we have mosquito issues. Efficient, professional, informative, punctual. ‘Nuff said!!