What Houston Property Owners Need To Know For Effective Rat Control
February 14, 2022 - Rats
When people think of rodents on the property, they usually think of mice. However, another common rodent that invades Houston properties is the rat. A rat is a rodent that is longer than five inches and thin-tailed. While there are many species of rats throughout the world, only one species is common to Houston, Texas.
The rat in question is the roof rat. Roof rats grow to approximately 16 inches long and possess a scaly tail that is about eight inches long. They are usually dark brown to black in color and possess a gray, black, or white underside. Also, they possess smooth fur and larger eyes and ears than other rat species.
This rodent is mostly nocturnal and prefers cooler weather. Rats live in colonies and will usually nest in the upper parts of buildings like the roof, attic, and other similar spots. As such, they are somewhat dependent on humans to thrive. Another reason for their dependence on humans is their habit of returning to the same food source over and over.
Are Rats In Houston A Problem?
Make no mistake, the relationship between rats and people is not mutually beneficial. Rats cause a number of problems for people, which is why they're actually considered harmful to humans. Some problems associated with roof rats include:
- Property Damage: Roof rats possess long claws and teeth that ensure your property will be scratched up and chewed through in no time if you have an active rat infestation.
- Disease: This is the single largest concern regarding roof rats. Not only are they infamous for spreading the bubonic plague, but they are also known to spread other diseases like infectious jaundice, trichinosis, rat-bite fever, and even food poisoning through contamination.
- Aggression: We mentioned rat-bite fever. This is because rats are known to show aggression when they feel threatened. For this reason, they may bite people who come too close, which results in rat-bite fever and possibly other complications.
Finally, roof rats carry parasites like fleas and ticks on them, which opens nearby humans to potential health problems caused by said parasites. Ultimately, you need professional pest control services if facing an active infestation.
Tips For Effective Rat Prevention
Just like with most other pests, the best thing to do is to prevent a rat infestation instead of trying to control an active infestation. While this takes some work and consistency, having a rat-free home is worth the extra time invested. Stick to the following tips to give yourself the best chance:
- Store The Food: Rats will get into your food without fail. If you make the food inaccessible by storing it in metal or glass containers with tight lids, you'll limit their supply greatly.
- Clean Regularly: Clutter and debris make it easy for rats to hide. By cleaning, you take away their hiding spots.
- Trash Management: Make sure your trashcans are metal and have secure lids to limit their interest in your home.
- Seal Up The Entry Points: It only takes a hole the size of a quarter for rats to get into your home. Seal these holes and cracks, and they'll no longer be able to get inside in the first place.
When all else is said and done, the best thing you can do is to work closely with a licensed pest control professional that is trained in rat control.
Rat Control With Caraway Pest Control
Rodents of any kind are a big problem in the g area. Rats, in particular, are especially troublesome since they are bigger than mice and can cause more property damage over time. That doesn't even take into consideration their ability to transmit disease.
That's why our team at Caraway Pest Control is here for our customers every step of the way. From free in-home rodent inspections to professional rodent removal and exclusion, we do it all so we can keep your home rodent-free, guaranteed.
Are you in need of rat prevention services? Then give us at Caraway Pest Control a call to speak with one of our agents about our professional pest control options. Reach out to us today to learn more about how we can keep rats out of your home all year long!
Love these guys! Used two years ago for possums that got into our attic. Now they do my quarterly pest control. They throw in extra “cocktails” if we have mosquito issues. Efficient, professional, informative, punctual. ‘Nuff said!!